How Americans can drive in Spain

24 Apr

I was thinking about buying a car or a motorcycle, so I did some research on the rules for American drivers in Spain.

First, in the short term, you should not have a problem. If you’re going on vacation, you just need to rent a car, and most companies accept your license eagerly.

Now to the more complicated process for Americans residing long term in Spain. You can legally rent cars without much trouble, but if you want to buy a used car and use it for a year or so, then you’re going to have to get an international driving permit. AAA offers this and it’s not very hard to get, nor very costly (only 15 bucks). Here is the application, which you can either print out and take to a AAA office in the US, or you can mail it to them if you’re abroad.

In Spain, you can drive for up to one year legally with your international driving permit, after which time you’ll have to get a real Spanish driver’s license.

A final note: there are some websites offering international driver’s licenses. I’m not sure if they are scams or other companies which offer you permits but call them licenses. Either way, you’re better off just dealing with good old Triple A. SpainExpat also says that not all US states’ licenses work abroad (apparently states can make individual agreements with foreign powers) but that the Spanish authorities are unlikely to question any of them if you have your international permit, so it’s not worth worrying about.


Posted by on April 24, 2011 in Europe, Life Abroad, Spain, Tourism


2 responses to “How Americans can drive in Spain

  1. Caroline

    April 30, 2011 at 10:38 pm

    Thanks for the info. I have looked into renting cars in Spain, as well. But since I don’t know how to drive manual (I learned to drive in the US where automatics abound!), I have had zero luck. I can’t find a rental place with automatic cars, curious since many foreign people frequent car rental places. Have you had any luck with finding places with automatic car rentals?

    • Dan Bablinskas

      May 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

      I’ve been trying to find that out myself. For the most part you need to know how to drive a manual, but I believe if you get the larger cars you can get an automatic. You’d have to call the company though, because, as far as I can tell they don’t provide that information online.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: